Monday, October 5, 2009

Darn you, September!


So ever since we've been married, Blake and I have really tried to get to the temple every month, and we had been doing a pretty good job up until the dreaded month of September. We realized with our work and school schedules we would need to really block out a time when we could go because there wasn't one day when we would be home together. We decided that we would have to wake up really early and go by six a.m. on a weekday so we wouldn't be late to our early classes. Well the day came, and sadly, Blake was deathly ill. He had the flu really bad for a few days so we missed our opportunity.

Then we realized that on the thirtieth- the last day of the month- if I sped home from Salt Lake (where I was at a training thing for work) then we would have time. The day came and I realized as I was on my way home that we would have more than enough time to go.  I got home, ran inside, changed really fast, and right as we walked out the door with our temple bags, Blake asked if i had my temple recommend.

........no. 

After searching for my wallet for about an hour and calling all my siblings (and olive garden, and byu, and work) to see if i left it there, I started to lose hope.  I was so worried because my social security card, birth certificate, check book, debit card, AND credit card were all in there.   Yeah, really smart.  Anyway, I couldn't find my wallet and we ended up not being able to go to the temple in September. 

The point of my story is how much of a difference I could feel from not being able to visit the temple as frequently as before-even if it just meant missing a month.  This experience has taught me how valuable the temple is to me, and how grateful I am for the peaceful, calming, beautiful feeling I always feel when I'm in there.  

It's amazing to me to realize that I can actually feel a difference in my life without it.  Things don't seem to be going as well, school seems harder, work seems more taxing, and life gets more and more overwhelming.  It is one of the greatest blessings of my life to be able to go to the temple with my wonderful husband and be once again reminded of what really matters, why we are really here and where we can potentially end up.    

I ended up finding my wallet (best day ever) and with it my temple recommend.  Even though we missed September and I ruined our previously unblemished record, I'm really grateful that I mysteriously lost my wallet for the last week of September because it really made me realize how important the Temple is to me.  I am so grateful for the blessing it is to live so close to so many temples and to be able to go whenever we want to.  But from now on, we're going to plan our temple trips at the beginning of the month...

2 comments:

Julie Wilding said...

I love love love this post. You are such a good example to me. I know that was cheesy, but it's true.

Anonymous said...

Man, we really need to get to the temple more. Thank you for giving me that motivation that I needed! You are a great example!