Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Uncle Dunk

Anyone who knew me growing up probably knows about Loa.  Loa is a small, small town in Wayne County, Utah where just about everyone who lives there is one of my relatives. (No, really, every year the Wayne County Fair and Taylor Reunion are lumped together in one big event.) I always get so excited about going to Loa for our family reunions every year. In fact, when I was little, I used to tell my friends I was from Loa; because to me, if my grandma was from there, then I basically was too, right?  I love my Wayne County cousins and great aunts and uncles, and it's always fun we get to see them.

My grandma's older brother, Uncle Dunk, (Duncan) has been pretty sick.  Uncle Dunk was always one of my favorite people to see when we went to Loa.  If you get the chance to meet Uncle Dunk, give him a hug.  He might break one of your ribs.  (He actually did that to a lady once, he told me about it.) Uncle Dunk gives the tightest hugs of anyone you'll ever meet.  He also gives the strongest handshakes.  He's a cowboy through and through.

 A few weeks ago, my sisters called and said they were making the drive to Loa for the day to see Uncle Dunk.  I miraculously got work off and I'm so glad I was able to go with them and be with him.  He was just as funny as ever.  One of the things he said after we walked in and got one of his famous bone-crunching hugs was, "well, you look like you could tie a goat!"

Admittedly, this city girl has no idea what that means, let alone whether or not that's a bad or good thing.  I asked him what that meant and he seemed shocked that I didn't know.  "In the rodeo! The goat tie-ers! Come on now!" He said I looked like I had swift legs so I could catch the goats and tie them really fast.  Later, I asked him if he ever went goat tying.  His response? "Oh no, that's a woman's job!"

We love Uncle Dunk so much.  He and Honey (my grandma) are really close.  In fact, they used to teach a dance class together in Loa, back in the days when Honey was the rodeo queen.  Uncle Dunk said if I could tie a goat in the Wayne County rodeo next year he would give me his belt buckle that has a dancing couple on it.  As cool as that belt buckle was, that might be one dream I'm going to have to let pass me by.


Tiff, Natalie and me.  Steph and Lisa were there too.  He probably wishes he had his cowboy hat on for this picture, so here's a better one.


This was almost 3 years ago when Blake and I first started dating.  Uncle Dunk and I are at the old church building in Fremont where we always have our reunions.  I remember telling Uncle Dunk about Blake and how much I liked him.  (We had only been dating for about a month and a half) I told him Blake grew up hauling hay, working on his family's farms and milking cows.  Uncle Dunk said, "Well, any man that has a little horse**** on his boots is alright with me." Luckily, Blake passed the test..

Uncle Dunk loved Papa like a best friend.  He would take Papa out hunting and horseback riding and all sorts of cool things when he and Honey were dating.  One time I asked Uncle Dunk what he thought of Papa when he and Honey first started to date.  "Oh heck*, right then and there he was like my own brother."

I'm really grateful for my roots.  I'm grateful for the examples of lifetimes of hard work and service that have been set before me by my relatives and ancestors.  Honey has so many inspiring, incredible stories on her side of the family, but for now I'll leave you with some parting wisdom from Uncle Dunk.

"Don't take any wooden nickels."

*ok, he didn't really say heck.