Sunday, August 14, 2011

One year later.

This is a hard post to write, but at the same time, it's the easiest thing in the world to talk about my grandpa.

I blogged about Papa's funeral last year.  I can't believe it's been a year.  He was sick, especially near the end, and I know he is so happy now.  That knowledge that he's happy and that he's where he deserves to be is the only bright beam when we lose a loved one.  That and the sweet peaceful knowledge that we'll see him again. 

When Papa passed away and we were preparing for the funeral, one thing that kept popping into all our minds was, "we loved him because he first loved us." 

Honey and Papa made it a priority to be a big part of our lives.  They loved spending time with their grandchildren.  Growing up, I always knew they loved us, not just because they told us so frequently, but by how they treated us.  Papa walked my little brother Sean and I to the bus stop almost every day in elementary school, and he was always there when we got home.  The bus would pull up and Papa would be standing there with our golden Labrador, Cougar, waving with his ever-present happy smile waiting for us.  We would get off the bus and run to give Papa a hug.  All our friends loved our grandparents, and many of my friends knew my grandparents better than they knew their own.  

Papa was Mr. Fix-it. He could fix anything! With 12 grandkids, it seems like every day Papa was fixing someone's bike chain, or pumping up someone else's tires.  He also loved cars. He taught Drivers' Ed at Orem for years, and had a passion for cars.  Most kids have to struggle to get all their roading hours in with their parents to qualify for their drivers' licenses, but Papa would call me and ask me if I wanted to go for a drive to practice.  He made sure I got plenty of hours driving in the dark and during rain storms too so I could be extra-prepared. (When I took my actual driving test, the woman who tested me said I was the only 100% she'd ever given.  Thanks, Papa!)

I could tell stories about him all day.  One of my favorite of Papa's qualities was his ability to be happy in any circumstance.  You'd never know it by his attitude, but he had a lot of hard times in his life.  People very close to him didn't treat him like they should.  But Papa was always happy, always smiling, and never held any grudges.  He was an amazing example of not being a victim of circumstance.  When he was dealt a difficult hand, he didn't dwell on it.  He chose happiness.  He made a conscious choice every day to be happy.  It wasn't always easy for him-- how could that ever be easy for anyone? But he did it.  Always smiling, usually whistling, and never dwelling on the negative.  He was a very forgiving man.  Yet another lesson Papa inadvertently taught me by the way he lived his life.  People who forgive live the happiest lives.  

There have been definite times since his passing when I've been able to feel Papa nearby.  I am so grateful for those peaceful moments when I can feel his presence.  Tears instantly spring to my eyes and I'm filled with so much warmth as I think about the wonderful lessons I learned from my amazing grandpa.  Little reminders about not being in such a rush.  Taking time to appreciate the little things, and choosing to be happy.  He was a wonderful man, and together with my equally wonderful grandma, succeeded in accomplishing much good in this world. 

It's hard, and we miss him, but I am forever grateful that I was able to know him.  My heart goes out to the people who never had the opportunity--or worse, had the opportunity but disregarded it-- to know their grandparents.  Especially with grandparents as wonderful as mine, there would be few greater tragedies.

July 31, 2011- One year later
DSC04508
DSC04509

If there's one thing to be known about the Peterson women, it's our uncanny and often hilarious ability to dress almost identical on a daily basis.  Inadvertently, of course. Repeating color patters, and even complete outfits, as demonstrated by my mom and Steph, more fully illustrate this point. We're just missing Tiff in this picture, but I'd bet my life she was wearing a pink shirt that totally matched Lisa's.
DSC04511

I looked over and noticed Blake was wearing Papa's socks.

DSC04506
DSC04503
Honey and Spencer watching the rest of the grandkids racing.
DSC04504
DSC04505
DSC04501
DSC04495
DSC04487 
Telling our favorite Papa stories.
DSC04493
Yellow was Papa's favorite color.  So fitting for a man who lived such a happy and bright life.  We released yellow balloons into the air, just like we did at his funeral.  Here are my parents watching the balloons.
DSC04490
DSC04489

We love you, Papa! Thanks for all the trips to the creamery to get ice cream, all the times you loaded us in the back of your blue truck to go fishing, all the trips to rock canyon park to go sledding, all the jokes you told, all the love you shared, and all the lessons you taught.  You are one of a kind.

6 comments:

Chelsea Michelle said...

This made me cry!! What a sweet post. I even remember Papa and Honey! Sooooo sweet. Love you! Can't wait to see you at the shower :)

TGPalmer said...

Michelle, I certianly loved feeling the warmth of your grandpa on a weekly baiss :) He is greatly missed. It's also nice to know that other people can enjoy themselves at the cemetary. We visit Nick's mom a few times a year, and it's always a party. We set up chairs, and tables, and bring treats, and the Adults enjoy each othere while the Grandkids run around :) It's turned into a wonderful tradition, and doesn't feel nearly as sad as it would with out it :)Good luck to you and your family, I know it's hard, but if any body can find the good, the Petersons can. Loves, Tallie

Mary said...

Oh Michelle! You really do have the best grandparents your Papa was the sweetest man. You are so blessed to have been so close to him and Honey.

Emily said...

I loved this post Michelle. What a sweet tender relationship you had with him. This would have made me tear up normally, but having just lost my Grandpa last month it has me crying.

Your Papa was so wonderful and always so sweet to me. I remember when I met him he shook my hand and then just held it for a second longer, and looked me in the eye as we spoke. Such a sweet man. I feel really blessed to know you and your whole family. I ran into your sisters today and I love them too! How is your pregnancy going? I'm sure you're just glowing, I can't wait to see you!

Michelle said...

Thanks so much, you guys are so sweet. I'm so happy that so many people remember and loved Papa.

Anonymous said...

your baby bump is so cute!:)